Requesting a Marriage License

Applying for a Marriage License or Civil Union

If you are applying for a marriage license or civil union, you need to do the following:

1.  apply in the Municipality where either party resides,

2. bring the following with you when applying for a marriage license:

  • photo ID (e.g. drivers license, passport or state ID)
  • proof of your residency (e.g. drivers license or tax bill)
  • A witness (18 years or older) who knows both the applicants
  • A $28.00 fee (cash, check or money order only)

(Note:  if any of the above mentioned documents are in a foreign language they must be accompanied by an English translation)

Contact Information:
Therese Eckel, Deputy Registrar
Phone: 856-456-0030, extension 114
Kate Carroll, Alternate Deputy Registrar
Phone:  856-456-0030, extension 113

There is a 72-hour waiting period between the filing of the application and the issuance of the license. (The 72-hour waiting period begins at the time the application is filed with the Local Registrar.)

Additional information can be found at the State of New Jersey Department of Health website