Previous Mayors

William-Watson
WILLIAM A. WATSON

Mayor W.A. Watson was sworn into office as Westville’s first Mayor on June 1, 1914. He served a term which ended December 31, 1916. Serving under his leadership were Councilmen Edward Ristine, W.A. Sheppard, F.M. Heckmen , A.M. Plummer, R.M. Crawford and Mr. Ristine were replaced in 1916 by Mr. O.J. Humes and Mr. H.C. Hopper. Edward Ristine served as Council President through 1915 and was replaced by Mr. A. M. Plummer in 1916;

W.B. Atkinson – Clerk
W.H. Lawrence – Assessor
J.W. Paratt – Collector
S.P. Newsham – Recorder
Delmore Rolison – Marshal
F.A. Ellender – Constable
John C. Remington, Jr. – Engineer
Kates & Burling – Solicitors

The Borough deposited their funds in The First National Bank of Westville, and all legal notices appeared in “The Gloucester County Democrat.” During this time period the annual municipal budgets ranged from $8,630.00 to $9,345.00. Council meetings were held on 2nd and 4th of each month in 1914 and 1915, but only on the 4th Tuesday of each month in 1916. In 1914, the Westville Board of Health was formed; the Delaware & Atlantic Telegraph & Telephone Company erected poles and wires along the Borough’s streets, while Public Service provided electricity; Hazel Avenue was dedicated; and a railroad spur, complete with flagman, was installed between the main line and Campbell Soup (now Coastal). In 1915, railroad crossing signs were installed on the “new” spur and a bell was installed at the crossing in South Westville (now Olive Street). A petition was presented to Mayor and Council to open Olive Street from Brook’s line (now Boundary Lane) to Glassboro Road (now Delsea Drive). Patterson Street had a name change to New Street. Metal street signs, blue with white enamel letters, were installed throughout town for the first time. In 1916 there was a CLEAN UP WEEK during the month of June, and sidewalks and curbs were installed in the “Victoria” section of town. Cigar smoke was so thick at the Council meetings, that a ventilator had to be installed in the Borough Hall.

Robert-B-Berry
ROBERT B. BERRY

Mayor R. B. Berry was sworn into office as Westville’s second Mayor on January 1,1917. His administration lasted until December 31, 1922. Serving under his leadership were Councilmen Jesse Darlington, W.W. Bolger, H.C. Hopper,W.J.berz, and E.T. Addison. Mr. Bolger was replaced in 1918 by Mr. F.H. Dougherty and Mr. J.A. Finnie. Mr. Dougherty and Mr. Finnie were replaced in 1922 by Mr. G.W. Schweltzer and Mr. H.F. Quenzell. Mr. Darlington served as Council President during Mayor Berry’s entire administration. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

W.B. Atkinson – Clerk
W.H. Lawrence – Assessor
J.W. Pratt – Collector 1917-1919
Edward H. Davis – Collector 1919-1922
O.B. Hagenbnch – Recorder 1917-1918
Jas. H. Hendrickson – Recorder 1919-1922
F.A. Ellender – Marshal
J.C. Remington, Jr. – Engineer
J. Boyd Avis – Solicitor

In 1917 the Westville Free Public Library used the Boro Hall and asked for financial aid. Legal notices were placed in the “Woodbury Times”. Sidewalks were installed along Popular Avenue and Silver Lake Avenue (now Delsea Drive). Abulkhead was installed at the end of Hunter Avenue. A new railroad bridge was installed over Timber Creek at a higher elevation, thus causing the line to be higher where the streets cross it. A petition was received to put in the curbs and sidewalks in the Gardner Tract. The Woodbury Turnpike Company permitted the Borough of Westville to use their “springling” cart to help keep the dust down. Curbs were constructed in the Newbold area. Westville residents in the military were exempted from paying a poll tax. A coal shortage occurred in 1917. In 1918 Thursday and Sunday evening were LIGHTLESS NIGHTS to help conserve energy and the Borough Marshal rode on horseback. A petition was received for safety gates at the railroad crossing at Olive Street. In 1919 NO SPITTING signs were placed in the Council Chambers. A Westville Welcome Home Committee was formed to welcome home the soldiers returning home from the World War. In 1920 the Soldiers Memorial Monument was erected in front of the “new” bank building at the corner of Broadway and Silver Lake Avenue. In 1920 a fire siren was purchased. In1921, the Mayor was instructed to have a Bell Telephone installed in his home and monthly bills sent to the Borough. A 4 party line was installed. The Soldiers Monument was dedicated on Decoration Day 1921 with “battery B’ in attendance in 1921, pool halls were licensed for the first time, the Borough Council approved the “Hurly Plan” for the proposed Delaware River Bridge linking Camden and Philadelphia, Union Fire Company purchased “Prosperity Hall” a public garage owned by Mr. Halsey was established at the corner of Chestnut and Crown Point Road, and an ordinance was adopted for purchasing land along the Creek and Delaware River for us as a park, beach and playground. In 1922, permission was granted for a Motor-Bus line going through Westville, from Blackwood Terrace to Camden. The Borough Hall, which had been leased from J.R. Jackson, was purchased this year. The two fire houses were linked by wire for siren purposes. There was an Easter supper for the benefit of Union Fire at Prosperity Hall at cost 35 cents per ticket. The Soldiers Monument was moved 15 feet closer to the Bank. Daylight Savings Time was adopted by the Borough. The fire siren was blown at noon each day, except Sunday, starting in 1922. On August 19, 1922, Independence Fire Company dedicated its new building. An ordinance was passed to install 9.5 miles of sewers in the Borough (Westville was moving into the modern age.) Borough budgets during this period ranged of $9,480.00 in 1918 to $19,404.50 in 1922. A special election was held in 1922 to determine whether the voters wanted the town to buy the Westville and Newbold Water Company.

Alberet-e-heal
ALBERT E. HEAL

Mayor A.E. Heal was sworn into office as Westville’s third Mayor on January 1,1923. He served a two year term ending December 31, 1924. Serving under his leadership were Councilmen Jesse Darlington ,F.A. Genter, G.C. Schwelitzer, H.F. Quenzell, E.T. Addison, and S.H. Burr. In 1924, C.H. Hinshillwood replaced Mr. Darlington, Mr. Quenzell served as Council President for this time period:

W.B. Atkinson – Clerk
S.F. Davis – Assessor
E.H. Davis – Collector 1923
W.E. Flagg – Collector 1924
Jas. H Hendrickson – Recorder
F.A. Ellender – Marshal 1923
Charles Kephart – Marshal 1924
J.C. Remington – Engineer
George Marshall – Solicitor 1923
C.W. Letzgus – Solicitor 1923-1924

In 1923, Council considered putting in a fire alarm system throughout town, the Westville Power Boat Association requested that Edgewater avenue be extended over the ravine to the Garder Tract, Shelters were installed along the trolley tracks, the Boy Scouts asked for permission to erect a log cabin on Borough property where the sewer pumping station is to be built at 5th and Woodbine. Laundry wagons were prohibited from collecting laundry on Sundays. The Council meetings moved to” Prosperity Hall” beginning on June 12, 1923. The old Borough Hall was turned over to the American Legion for their use, “Old Monuments ” were moved to inside curbs lines due to sewer construction. Then in 1924, legal notices were in the “Woodbury Daily Times”. The Marshal’s horse was sold for $125.00 and a motorcycle was purchased. The motorcycle and gasoline was stored in the Council Chambers. The 9.5 miles of sewer lines were completed, as was the Olive Street extension from Broadway to Glassboro Road. A Shade Tree Commission was appointed. The municipal budget was $28,740.00 in 1923 and $40,090.00 in 1924.

Alber-V-Cox
ALBERT V. COX

A.V. Cox was sworn into office on January 1, 1925 as Westville’s fourth Mayor. He remained in office through 1936. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure as Mayor. S.H. Burr, Fred A. Genter, C .H. Hinshillwood, H.J.Quensell, Raymond C. Reeves, and George C. Schweltzer. In 1926 William McKinney replaced Mr. Burr. In 1928, Charles Lacy replaced Mr. Reeves. In 1931, Arthur Kinch replaced Mr. Schweltzer. In 1935 Joseph Bailey replaced Mr. McKinney .Mr. Quensell served as Council President during Mayor Cox’s entire tenure. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period.

John F. Davis – Clerk
J.C. Remington – Engineer
C.w. Letzgus – Solicitor 1925-1926
Daniel Beckly – Solicitor 1927-1928
Francis B. Davis – Solicitor 1929-1931
Robert Hendrickson – Solicitor 1931-1936
F.A Ellendar – Marshal 1925
F.A. Ellender – Chief of Police 1926-1931
Peter Cusintine – Captain of Police 1932-1936
Harry Rich – Recorder 1928-1936
Fred Simmler – 1928-1936
Edward Addison – Supt. Of Public Works 1926-1936

Municipal budgets ranged from $45,693 in 1925 to over $71,000. In 1925, a third election district was created and a booth was installed at Broadway and Pine Street for the protection of police officers. In 1926, Sliver Lake Avenue (Delsea Drive ) was paved with concrete, a traffic signal light installed, a tractor and grader were purchased, Crown Point Road (Route 130) was taken over by the State, a police booth at the Bank Corner, completed with telephone was installed, complaints were received by Council about pig odor coming from Deptford Township, and a new school house was built on Crown Point Road, Silver Lake Avenue was officially changed to Delsea Drive, and trolley service was discontinued due to the bridge over Timber Creek being broken. In 1928 the trolley tracks were removed from Delaware View Avenue, the police department’s motor cycle was sold, a new playground was built, and the County built a bridge over the ravine connecting both ends of Edgewater Avenue. In 1929, former Mayor Robert Berry died and a memorial was placed at St. Luke’s Church in his memory, a speed limit of 20 mph was put into effect on Gateway Blvd., property was purchased along River Drive for the construction of a water well, Olive Street was concreted, and a new bridge was begun over Timber Creek. In 1930 the new water well was drilled, the Broadway Bridge was closed for repairs, and Almonesson Road was taken over by the County. In 1931 the Westville Welfare Board was created, and Council passed a resolution for either a bridge or a tunnel which was to go from New Jersey below Timber Creek to Pennsylvania just north of League Island. In 1932, the straightening of Chestnut Street was completed, and a petition signed by 500 residents requesting Sunday Baseball was received by Council. In 1933 George Olsson was appointed Treasurer and seven bars were officially opened in the Borough:

221 Broughway – Mr. Dorsey
Broadway – Toppin’s Inn
33 River Drive – Mr. Pallanto
Gateway & Woodbine – Mr. Hinshillwood
19 Delsea Drive – Mr. MacMullin
47 Edgewater – Mr. Fulton
32 Delsea – Mr. Powell

In 1933 a petition with 560 signatures was received by Council to close Saloons on Sundays. In1935, the new bridge (Route 130) was opened, there were many W.P.A. projects, and the grandstand at the ballfield had a roof. In 1936, the A.B.C. Ordinance was amended to close all taverns at 2 A.M., due to the noise from Steubing’s Tavern being open all hours of the night.

Albert-Waddington
ALBERT WADDINGTON

A. Waddington was sworn into office on January 1,1937 as Westville’s fifth Mayor. He remained in office through 1938. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure as Mayor; Harry Quenzel, William T. McKinney, Joseph Balley, Daniel Patterson, Charles Hinshillwood, and Charles Lacy. Mr. Quenzel served as Council President during Mayor Waddington’s term. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

John F. Davis – Clerk
Peter Cusintine – Police Captain
Edward Addison – Supt. Of Public Works
Charles Epler – Collector
Samuel Davis – Assessor
Owen Cater – Engineer 1937
J.C. Remington – Engineer 1938
Daniel Beckly – Solicitor

The fire alarm system was overhauled in 1937 and the Republican Club donated a wooden flag pole which was erected in front of the Borough Hall. In 1938 a new diner was built at the corner of Broadway and River Drive, and the Broadway Bridge was changed to a ‘fixed’ bridge. Traffic lights were needed at Olive and Broadway, Broadway and Pine, and Delsea and Center.

FREDERICK-SIMMLER
FREDERICK SIMMLER

Fred Simmler was sworn into office January 1,1939 as Westville’s sixth Mayor. He remainded in office until December 9,1941, at which time he resigned to become the Gloucester County Sheriff. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure as Mayor: Harry Quenzal, William McKinny, Joseph Bailey, Daniel Patterson, Elmer H. Larson, and Charles K. Lacy. On September 12,1939, Leon C. Hyde replaced Mr. Kinney. On June 14,1939 Wilmond C. Sutterly replaced Mr. Bailey. W.C. Ormerod replaced Mr. Quenzal on December 9,1941. Councilman Lacy died while in office, and was replaced by T.E Brown in 1941. Mr. Quenzal served as Council President during Mayor Simmler’s tenure. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

John F. Davis – Clerk 1939
Joseph L. McCloskey – Clerk 1940-1941
L.F Horter – Collector
Samuel Davis – Assessor 1939
Joseph Balley – Assessor 1939-1941
Harold Hannold – Solicitor
J.C. Remington – Engineer
Edward Addison – Supt. Of Public Works 1939
George Genter – Supt. Of Public Works 1940
William J. Kesting – Supt. Of Public Works 1941

In 1939 the watch house at the South Westville Station was repaired, the W.P.A. park project was begun on the Duncan Tract, and there was an addition to the Borough Hall. In 1940, the Park Project was completed, including the tennis courts and pond building; the point at Almonesson and Delsea was rounded; the chlorination system was installed; Westville had a theater called the “Embassy “; safety gates were installed at the Olive Street crossing; Hannah Wadding, Librarian, resigned and was replaced by Mrs. Emma Matlack; Westville’s population increased to 3,569; the tax collection rate was 70%; safety measures for ice skaters were installed at the new lake; and the budget was $155,453.46. In 1941, flood lights were installed at the pond, a sports clinic was held at the pond house,5 voting districts were created in Westville, the Borough Hall was painted inside and out, flower beds were laid in the yard of the Borough Hall, the Bible Protestant Church used the Park for Easter Sunrise Service, the pond was stocked with fish, a soft-ball field was installed at the park, lunch wagon owners were notified that “mechanical juke boxes ” would have to be quiet in the early morning hours, and Mr. Casey, a florist, donated pond lilies for beautification at the park.

HARRY F. QUENZEL

Picture not available.

Harry F. Quenzel was sworn into office on Decmber 9, 1941 as Westville’s seventh Mayor. He remained in office through December 14, 1943, at which time he resigned to become a Gloucester County Freeholder. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure as Mayor; Leon C. Hyde, Willfred C. Ormerod, Wilmond C. Sutterly, Daniel N. Patterson, Elmer H. Larson, and Theodore E. Brown. Joseph C. Tarpine replaced Mr. Brown on December 14,1943 when Mr. Brown resigned to become the next Mayor. Leon C. Hyde served as Council President during Mayor Quenzel’s term of office. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Joseph L. McCloskey – Clerk
L.F.Horter – Collector
Joseph Bailey – Assessor
Albert Thompson – Chief of Police
J.C. Remington – Engineer
Harold Hannold – Solicitor

During 1942 and 1943, soldiers were stationed at the Park House and in 1943 they assisted in cutting down the weeds which were overgrowing the lake. In 1943, the legal holidays were New Years Day, Lincoln’s Birthday, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

THEODORE-E-BROWN
THEODORE E. BROWN

Theodore E. Brown was sworn into office as Westville’s eighth, Mayor on December 14, 1943. He remained in office through 1948. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure as Mayor; Leon C. Hyde, Wilfod C. Ormerod, Wilmond C. Sutterly, Daniel N. Patterson; Elmer H. Larson, and Joseph C. Tarpine. Virgil A. Stites replaced Mr. Sutterly in 1944. Irvin P. Van Sciver replaced Mr. Patterson in 1945. Lawrence N. Doe replaced Mr. Hyde in 1946. George F. Holdcraft replaced Mr. Stites in 1947. George Roemer replaced Mr. Larson in 1948. George M. Thompson replaced Mr. Tarpine in 1948. Leon C. Hyde served as Council President through 1945. He was replaced as Council President by Joseph C. Tarpine, who served from 1946 through 1947. In 1948 Wiford C. Ormerod replaced Mr. Tarpine as Council President. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Joseph L. McCoskey – Clerk
L.F.Horter – Treasure Collector
Helen M. White – Treasurer Collector 1/17/45 -12/31/45
William M. Eberz – Treasurer – Collector 1/1/46 – 7/8/46
Helen M. White – Treasurer – Collector 7/9/46 -12/31/46
Warren C. Miller – Treasure Collector 1947-1948
Joseph Bailey – Assessor
Albert Thompson – Chief of Police 1944-1945
H. Jarrett Davis – Chief of Police 1946-1948
Harold Hannold – Solicitor
J.C. Remington – Engineer

In 1944, a parking lot was put in next to the Borough Hall, the Westville Y.M.C.A. used the park house for meetings, and a gravel, sand & asphalt plant was proposed to built by Busby Bros. On River Drive at Gateway Blvd. During the summer of 1945, a 5 weeks supervised playground project was underway and the enrollment was good. In 1947, the World War II Memorial was erected in the park,” Westville” was first painted on the water tank, the Westville Licensed Beverage Association suggested forbidding alcohol in parks and playgrounds, and the Westville Y.M.C.A. used the Park for day camp. In 1948 a store was built at the coner of Broadway and Oak, the Municipal Court was established, the Lions Club placed shrubbery around the park monument and the first “Boy and Girl Week” occurred.

JOSEPH-C-TARPINE
JOSEPH C. TARPINE

Joseph C. Tarpine was sworn into office on January 1, 1949 as Westville’s ninth Mayor. He remained in office through 1952. The following people served as councilmen during his tenure as Mayor: Wilfred C. Ormerod, Frank W. Cunningham, George Roemer, George M. Thompson, Ivin P. Van Sciver , and George F. Holdcraft, Jr. In 1949, Carl L. Philippi, was elected to service as Councilmen in 1950. However he died before being sworn into office and W. Edward Pierce was appointed to fill his vacant seat. On September 9, 1952, Mr. Holdcraft resigned and was replaced by Harry L. Ingram. Wilfed C. Omerod served as Council President during Mayor Tarpine’s entire tenure. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Joseph L. McCloskey – Clerk
Warren C. Miller – Collector – Treasure 1949 – 3/30/50
Marie W. Bendernagle – Collector – Treasure 3/31/50 – 12/31/52
Joseph Barley – Assessor
H. Jerret Davis – Chief of Police
Harold Hannold – Solicitor
Charles P. Caulfield – Engineer

In 1949 a radio was installed in the police car. In 1951, an air-raid siren was installed in the park, band concerts were held in the park, lights were added to the Soldier’s Monument in the park by the Women’s Auxiliary of the Westville Lion’s Club, a Halloween parade was sponsored by the American Legion and Westville’s budget was $136,500. In 1952, the Westville Little League built a diamond in the Borough Park and the Police Reserves used the Park House.

WILFRED-C-ORMORED
WILFRED C. ORMORED

Wilfred C. Ormored was sworn into office as Westville’s tenth Mayor on January 1, 1953. He remained in office through 1956. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure as Mayor: George Roemer, George M. Thompson, W. Edward Pierce, Harry L. Ingram, Frank W. Cunningham, and Everitt C. Tarpine. In 1954 Thomas J. Baker replaced Mr. Roemer. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Joseph L. McCloskey – Clerk 1953 – 7/12/55
Otto M. Bock – Clerk 7/12/55 – 12/31/56
Marie W. Bendernagle – Collector – Treasurer
Joseph Bailey – Assessor 1/1/53 – 9/23/53
Albert C. Thompson – Assessor 9/24/53 -12/31/56
Harold Hannold – Solicitor
Charles P.Caulfied – Engineer
H. Jarret Davis – Chief of Police

In 1953, a Memorial Fire Place was built in the park by the Boy Scouts, former Mayor Tarpine died, and a Halloween Parade was sponsored by the American Legion. On May 31, 1954, the Little League Field at Edgewater and Klinger opened. In 1955, traffic lights were installed at Olive and Gateway Blvd., the basketball court at the pond was blacktopped, a new water tank was built (with fire horns), the wall around the edge of the pond was repaired, the Lions Club stocked the pond with fish, former Mayor Quenzel died, and the Halloween Parade was sponsored by the American Legion sponsored a HALLOWEEN Parade, and the Lions Club sponsored the Fire Works on the 4th of July at the Pond.

FRANK-W-CUNNINGHAM
FRANK W. CUNNINGHAM

Frank W. Cunningham was sworn into office as Westville’s eleventh Mayor on January 1, 1957. He remained in office through May 12, 1970. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure in office: Elmer H. Larson, Charles W. Stryzek, Harry L. Ingram, Evritt C. Tarpine, Thomas J. Baker and Paul Toth. In 1958, S. Marshall Burr replaced Mr. Tarpine. In 1960 William Hill replaced Mr. Ingram. In 1961 Francis J. Duer replaced Mr. Stryzek. In 1962, Harry V. Laskowski replaced Mr. Baker. In 1967, Charles E. Owens replaced Mr. Burr. On May 12, 1970, Charles Bakley replaced Mr. Hill. Harry L. Ingram served as Council President from 1957 through 1959. He was replaced by Thomas J. Baker in 1960. In 1962 Elmer H. Larson replaces Mr. Baker Mr. Larson served until Mayor Cunningham resigned in 1970. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Otto M. Boch – Clerk
Harold W. Hannold – Solicitor
Charles P. Caulfield – Engineer 1957-1963
Jack Plaskett – Engineer 1964
H. Jarrett Davis – Police Chief
Marie W. Bendernagle – Tax Collector – Treasure 1957
E. Millard Pallante – Tax Collector – Treasure 1958-1970
John H. Barlow – Assessor
Robert Reynolds – Surpt.of Public Works 1965-1970
William C. Packer, III – Supt. of Water & Sewer 1967-1970

In 1957, Westville had its first Civilian Defense and Disaster Director, flood lights were installed at the basketball court at the Little League , the Little League became officially known as “Hannold Park” and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor William Stites, Clerk-Beverly Bock, Judge-Edward Evans , Police Chief – Sandra Greeves , Fire Chief – William Long, Council Members – Joseph Tarpine, William Crumley , George Dunham, Dale Genter, Shirley Nute, and Kathy Bryant. In 1958, the playground at 5th and Woodbine was built by the Westville Civic Association. In 1959 the Babe Ruth League Baseball field was completed. In 1960 the Babe Ruth Field was dedicated, a borough garage was built along River Drive, and the Borough Hall had an office addition completed. In 1962 a basketball court was put in at the playground at 5th and Woodbine. In 1963, Westville held a Tuberculosis X-Ray Clinic, the Holloween Parade sponsored by the American Legion was marred by egg-throwing incident, the Stadium at the Babe Ruth Field was named “Tom Pallante Stadium”, and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – William Conaway, Clerk – Arleen Yager, Council members – Bonnie Wood, Susan Ross, Rosemary Barici, Katie Donvan, Linda Taylor, Tax Collector – Susan Carl , Assessor – Diane Graves. In 1964, Westville Celebrated its’ 50th Anniversary, a 9 P.M. curfew went into effect for children, and the following Boys and Girls participated in the Youth Week; Mayor – Barry Jesse, Clerk – Susan Myski, Police Chief – William Whinna, Fire Chief – Thomas Weinhardt , Judge – Richard Timmons , Tax Collector – Richard Bewsher ,Assessor – John Koenig, Lions President – Joseph LaPella , Tail Twister – Fred Spreng, Council members – Diane Crawford , Janet Ellis, Joyce Holloway, Paulette Taylor, James Wilker, and Thomas Spera. In 1965, the following Boys And Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Hans Van Brill – Clerk -Timothy Bennett, Tax Collector – Thomas Bennett, Assessor – Cindy Wisser , Council – Joanne Leahy, Jane Lucas, Richard Donaldson, Jackie Fortiner Sue Albright , Douglas Champion , Police Chief – Edward Carl, Fire Chief – William Purnell, Judgh – Bruce Webber , Lions President – Charles Wilkins, Lions Auxillary – Kathy Dorman, and Tail Twister – Richard Crawford. In 1966, the pond retaining wall needed fixing. In 1967, the Halloween Parade was sponsored by the American Legion. In 1968 the pond was dredged.

ELMER-H-LARSON
ELMER H. LARSON

On May 12, 1970 Elmer H. Larson was sworn in as Westville’s twelfth Mayor. He served until the end of that year. The following people served as Councilmen during his tenure in office; Francis J. Duer, Charles E. Owens, Charles Bakely, Paul Toth, Harry V. Laskowski, and John Miller. Paul Toth Served as Council President of Wesville during this period:

Otto M. Bock – Clerk
Harold W. Hannold – Solicitor
E. Millard Pallante – Tax Collector & Treasure
John A. Barlow – Assessor
William C. Packer III – Supt. of Water & Sewer
Robert Reynolds – Supt. of Highways
H. Jarret Davis – Police Chief

In 1970 the flag was painted on the tank for the first time, and Westville Little League won District 5 Championship.

HARRY-V-LASKOWSKI
HARRY V. LASKOWSKI

Harry V. Laskowski was sworn in as Westville’s Thirteenth Mayor in 1971. He remained in office through 1982. The following people served on Council during his tenure in office:

Elmer h. Larson, Charles Bakely, Francis J. Duer, Charles E. Owens, Shirl K. Parker, and John Miller. On October 17th 1973, Mr. Larson resigned and was replaced by Louis A. Burgo on November 12, 1973. Mr. Bakely resigned and was replaced by William Bilger on August 14,1973. In 1976 Mr. Miller resigned and George J. Gruff,Jr. replaced him. In 1977,Robert Saunders replaced Mr. Bilger and Robert Keenan replaced Mr. Gruff. In 1977, when Mr. Parker resigned, George Gruff wasagain brought back on Council on November 9, 1977. In 1980, Patrick J. Sully replaced Mr. Keenan. In 1981, Westville had it’s first Woman on Council, Barbara Hooffmann, who replaced Mr. Burgo. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Otto M.Bock – Clerk 1971-1981
Richard M. Burr – Clerk 1981-1982
Harold W. Hannold – Solicitor
E. Millard Pallante – Tax Collector &Treasure 1971-1976
Janice Stanley – Tax Collector 1977-1982
Richard Burr – Treasure 1977-1982
William C. Packer, III – Supt. of Water & Sewer 1971-1972
William C. Packer, III – Supt. of Public Works 1973-1982
Robert Reynolds – Supt. of Highways 1971-1975
John – Barlow – Assessor 1971-1978
William Haunt – Assessor 1978-1982
Harry E. Weinhardts – Police Chief 1971-1980
William J. Bittner, Jr. – Police chief 1981-1982
Jack Plakett – Engineer 1971-1973
Kenneth Remington – Engineer 1973-1982

In 1971, the water tank was repainted, a Memorial Day Parade was sponsored by the American Legion, an addition was completed at the Borough Hall for the Library and Police Dept., Christmas decoration were hung along Broadway, Westville joined the Gloucester County Uitility Authority, and Miss Cathy Boals suggested at a Council meeting that we separate glass, cans etc., for ecological reasons. In 1972, there was a Halloween Parade, the sewer pumping station was installed at the end of Edgewater Ave., the new water plant was completed, central air was installed in the Borough Hall, and foot patrol bythe police in the business district was instituted, in 1973, flower planter and wrought iron railing were installed in front of the Borough Hall, a fire alarm recorder was purchased for the Police Dept., the Bible Protested Church requested use of the Little League field for Easter Sunrise Service, and the Jr. Women’s Club sponsored the Easter Egg Hunt. In 1974, the Chestnut Street Playground was established, the Jr. Women’s Club sponsored an Easter Egg Hunt in the Park, Hunt Bros. Circus was sponsored by the Lion’s Club and the Halloween Parade was sponsored by the American Legion. In 1975, the Jr. Women’s Club again sponsored the Easter Egg Hunt and the Boy Scouts had a Camporee in the Borough Park. In 1976, the Shuttle Bus, primarily for the use by senior citizens, was put into operation, flashing lights were installed at the railed crossing at Park Avenue & Rout 45, the C.E.T.A program begun, the Westville Planning Board was established, the Mayor’s Newsletter begun because the “Gateway News “went out of business, the Bi- Centennial Committee sponsored a Boat Parade, fireworks and games, and the Halloween Parade was canceled. In 1977, the 5% CAP went into effect, the Master Plan was adopted, curbs and sidewalks were installed along High Street (a C.E.T.A project). “Walter Reds Overs Little League Baseball Field” named, unbudgeted state school aid funds were returned to the taxpayer, and the right hand turn on red, after full stop went into effect. In 1978, aluminum benches, sidewalks, & curbs installed at pond (C.E.T.A. project), the Halloween Parade was sponsored by the Jr. Women’s Club, and the following Boys and Girl participated in Youth Week; Mayor- Faith Roysdon, Clerk – Susan Kordeck, Council – Suzy Pallante, Nancy Padilla, Steve Buscher, Sharon Lore, Dawn Gandy, Judy George, Tax Collector- Rose Vena, Assessor – Shelly Chapman, Police Chief – Scott Roysdon, Fire Chief – Frank Capano, Judge – Mark Rogers, Lions President – Tom Byant, and Tall Twister – Deneen Angelastro. In 1979, Cable TV came to Westville, smoke detectors became mandatory, the regional water laboratory begun, the Local Assistance Board was created, School #1 was demolished, Parkview School had an addition, the state did a project to alleviate the flooding problem on Broadway, and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week ; Mayor – Joseph Nachman, Clerk – Bobbi Lee Fulgham, Police chief W-ayne Rathof, Fire Chief – Richard Rafferty, Tax Collector – Susan Gillespie, Judge – Ronald Parker, Assessor – Rusty Welsh, Lion’s President – Keith Brown, Tall Twister – Lauren Angelasto, and Mark Polis. In 1980, Christmas lights were along Broadway for the last time, and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Russell Lenny; Clerk – Albert Albano, Tax Collector – Edward Flood , Assessor – Gina Civa, Council – David Conver, Julia Carotenuto, Neolle Miller , Holly Aussman, Cheryl Friedel , and Tina Baldissero, Police Chief – Tony Hollywood, Judge – David DeCord, Fire Chief Elmer Ritchie, Lions President – Brenda Clouser, and TallTwister – Frank Phillips. In 1981, bulletproof vests were purchased for the police, the water softening plant went into operation, an alarm systems was installed in the Borough Hall and Public Works Buildings, Westville resident spoke again an I-295 interchange at Almonesson Road and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Glenn Garrison, Mike Clancola, Kim Senator, Mark Sullivan, Charles Kahler, Mark Shover, Fire ChiefSteven Smizer, Lion s President Kim Wilkinson, and Tail Twister – Jane Bodine. In 1982 Westville received a D.W.I grant a refrendum to have Sunday sales of alcohol was defeated, a new Senior Citizen Bus was obtained, bus shelters were installed, a portrait of Mr. Hannod was president to Mayor & Council to be hung in the Borough Hall, and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Chris Nickerson, Assessor – Kenny Vick, Clerk – Treasure – Eric Farley, Judge – John Frazier, Lions President – Michelle Ausmann, Police Chief – Alan Waches, Tail Twister – Brian Neuffer, Tax Collector – Heather Ausmann, Fire Chief – Michael Paul, Council – Mark Pierson, Kristie Maler, Chuckie Lydon, Lisa Hargesheimer, Jay Renshaw, Scott Ellis.

FRANCIS-J-DUER
FRANCIS J. DUER

Francis J. Duer was sworn into office as Westville’s fourteenth Mayor on January 1, 1983. His administration lasted until May 1988, when he died. Serving under his leadership were Council Members Charles E. Owens, Patrick J. Sully, Ralph E. Garrsion, Robert B. Sites, Barbara G. Hoffmann, and George J. Gruff, Jr. In 1984, Bruce Donaldson resigned and was replaced by Mr. Gruff. In 1985 Mr. Donaldson resigned and was replaced by Parker C. Smith, Jr. In 1985, Mr. Garrison resigned and was replaced by Eugene J. Paul. In 1986, Mr. Stites resigned and was replaced in January of 1988 by Valerie J. McCall Samuel. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Richard M. Burr – Administrator, Clerk &Treasurer
Janice M. Stanley Allen – Tax Collector
William M. Hunt – Assessor
Kenneth Remington – Engineer
Francis Caulfield – Solicitor
William J. Bittner, Jr. – Chief of Police
William C. Packer, III – Supt. of Public Works

In 1983, the Borough of Westville appointed it’s first Administrator, and curbs were installed on Harvard Avenue in the industrial area. In 1983, the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week: Mayor – Dennise Paul, Council – Karl Scott, Lauren Flood, Christopher Tarrach, Nicole Conover, Bonnie Hoffmann, and Steven Rodgers, Clerk – Treasurer – Heather Burrow, Tax Collector – Christopher Kennedy, Assessor – William Holwell, Police Chief – Jamie Smith, Judge – Paul Barber, Fire chief – John Foster, Lion’s President – Andrew Bakely, and Tail Twister – Melissa Sullivian. In 1984, the Westville Police Association used the pond building,” Fun Day in the Park ” was sponsored by the Westville Women’s Club to benefit the Fire Company, and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Angelo Fasulo, Clerk – Treasurer – Nelson Wiest, Tax Collector – Amy Koenig, Judge Wayne Wilson, Assessor – Rebecca Miller, Lion’s President – Susann Johnson, Police Chief – Wayne Newman, Fire Chief – Eli Hall, Tail Twister – Lisa Saunders, Council – Barry Campbell, Heidi Freiedel, Regina Farley, Lee Riehl, Tammy Berger, and Jennifer Bruggman. In 1985, Westville received a Neighborhood Preservation Grant from the State to be used for housing rehab and the reconstruction of Edgewater Avenue in the Stanly Tract. Many Westville resident’s attended a town meeting at Parkview School on February 11 (Topic Country Incinerator) and the Country Freeholder’s Meeting on March 4, the Westville Concerned Citizens organized in March, Treasurer’s office became computerized, and the Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Regina Underwood, Clerk -Treasurer – Valerie Fasulo, Police Chief – Don Baldridge, Fire Chief – Virgil Merritt, Tax Collector – Amy Fisher, Judge – Joey Fenuto, Lion’s President – Stacy Adams,Tail Twister – Christina Sheneman, and Council – Kim Lyons – Susanna Schutte, Amy Hoffmann, Karl Lenez, Eric Schaeffer, and Suzette Schutte. In 1986 water conservation began, the K-Dance Troupe presented the “Westville’ Flag to the Borough, the Edgewater Avenue project was completed, and the Boys and Girls participated in the Youth Week; Mayor – Gregg Garrison, Clerk – Treasurer – Jeff McNaughton, Police Chief – Jason Wagner, Fire Chief – Heather Jones, Tax Collector – Normajean Hatchell, Assessor – Jennifer Packer, Judge – Tom Bunting, Lion’s President – Rene’ Bruggman, Tail Twister – George Palsin, and Council – Brenda Hargescheimer, Sharon Bolt, Diana Paul, Terri Schmitt, Michelle Capolina, and Jennifer Snyder. In 1987, the Clerk ‘s office became computerized, the Environmental Commission was created, Deadline Drive was named, the low-flow showerhead program was instituted for water conservation and the following Boys and Girls Participated in the Youth Week: Mayor – Sheri Wiest, Clerk – Treasure -Tommy Lyons, Police Chief -Mark Baldridge, Fire Chief – Kristopher Watson, Tax Collector – Christopher Smith, Assessor – Michael Lean , Judge – Heather Ludwick, Supt. Of Public Works – Liam Farrar, Lion’s President – Kim Peterson, Tail Twister – Michael McCullough, Court Clerk – Stephanie Bruggman, Prosecutor – Robin Brown, and Council – John Laneader, Robyn Rullo, Michael Ledrich, Christopher Schultz, Brian Finger, and Alfred Maurer.

Charles-e-owens
CHARLES E. OWENS

On June 11, 1988, Charles E. Owens was sworn into office as Westville’s fifteenth Mayor. He replaced Mayor Duer, who died in May. Serving under his leadership were Council Members Patrick J. Sully, Eugene J. Paul, Parker C. Smith, Jr. Valerie J. Samuel, Samuel C. Scott, and Madel Duer. In November 1988, Van F. Ludwick replaced Mabel Duer. Patrick J. Sully served as Council President during Mayor Owen” tenure. The following people were employed by the Borough of Westville during this time period:

Richard M..Burr – Administator, Clerk & Treasure
Janice M. Allen – Tax Collector 1988
Joanna M. Murtaugh – Tax Collector 1988-1989
Barbara G. Hoffmann – Tax Collector – 1990
William J. Bittner,Jr. – Police Chief
Walter L. Marshall, Jr. – Solicitor
Edward Vernick – Engineer
George Tice – Tax Assessor

In 1988, Independent and Union Fire Companies Merge to form the Westville Fire Department, the Westville Fire District was created in December, a drug-free school zone was established, and the Following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week: Mayor – William C. Paker, Clerk – Treasurer Elaine Paul, Police Chief – Keivn Zook, Prosecutor – Michael DiCicco, Court Clerk – Tara Smith , Fire Chief – Ronnie Cline, Assessor – Deanne Lemon, Supt. of Public Works – Kent Peyre-Ferry, Judge- Andrea Souder, Lion’s President – Kenneth Maddgey, Tail Twister – Jonathan Hoolely, Tax Collector – Jimmy Eichman, and Council – William Cugdik, Christopher Lenz, Michael Pasquarello, Kenny Bock, Michelle Tirendi, and Jennifer Plopper. In 1989, Westville celebrated its 75th Anniversary, the water tank was painted, Willow and High Streets flooded from unusually heavy rain in July, and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Raymond Burow, Clerk – Treasure – Todd Flynn, Police Chief – Van Ludwick, Prosecutor, Fire Chief – Michael Miller, Assessor – Brenda Rudderow, Supt. of Public Works – Bonnie Rock, Judge – Mary Mcreavy, Lion’s President – Dawn Peterson, Tax Collector – Kevin Eichman, Tail Twister – Curtis Neuffer, and Council – Stephanie Allen, Melinda Griffith, Leigh Wagner, Michael Mitchell, Christy Lemon, and Joel Hoppe. In 1990, high tension lines were installed across the Park Avenue Ballfield, the Balanced Housing Program for housing rehab in “Newbold” began, the Woodbine Avenue Sewer Project began and the following Boys and Girls participated in Youth Week; Mayor – Sharon Dulse, Clerk – Treasurer – Lauren Hand, Police Chief – Brain Crawford , Court Clerk – Tony Bennett, Assessor – Chris Zappile, Tax Collector – Mike DeBruno, Fire Chief – Tiku Patel, Prosecutor – Mike Franks, Judge – Jeremy Brown , Supt. of Public Works – Jennifer Ganly, Lion’s President John Gross, Tail Twister – Cheryl Lemon , and Council – Brad Cooly, Sara Rodebaugh, Ricky Charron, Tim Bewsher, Cassidy Napoli, and Chris Gregory.

 

Bill PackerWilliam C. Packer, III

 

 

Mike Galbraithup Michael K. Galbraith